Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Hide and Seek

I write it down
Prayer
And draw lines around it
Prayer

Then I undraw the lines because
Prayer is not the thin thing I once thought
It is a big, wide, deep thing

An endless movement from many places
In, to one place
An open door between my heart and your heart
A trickle, a river, a flash flood
A quick dash for high ground
And a quiet wandering in a sunlit summer dusk

Prayer is an ache I carry in my heart
Wordless and deep
A waterfall making its inexorable way to you
An angry sea returning
Over and
Over 
To the constant shore

Prayer is a bird song
Quick and telling
From back behind me in the bush
A yellow flower floating on a millpond sea

A shell
A leaf
A seed pod
A word
An image
A blue light

Inside me,
It is the pull toward you that never lets me go

Prayer is me waiting for you
And you waiting for me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have really caprtured the hidden essence of the prayer life. Your gift with words used in the Christian life never ceases to amaze me :) Elizabeth